Tuesday, October 6, 2009

How Many Vietnamese Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb??

The answer??..... FOUR! Two to hold the ladder, and one to hold the guy on top of the ladder replacing the bulb!!! <-------------- I just watched this from where I am sitting right now!
Man oh man..... I just got back from the PRETTIEST GORGEOUSEST AWESOMEST place ever!! At 8am on Oct 5th, the tour bus picked John and I up at our hotel, we picked up a few other people, and made a 2.5 hour drive to Ha Long Bay. We boarded a "junk", which is a cool looking vietnamese ship, and started our 2 day cruise...... It was so so gorgoues!! And very "rest and relaxation" according to our tour guide, whom I nicknamed "Happy" (because the name fits!). They fed us TONS of food......... huge portion sizes, gorgeous presentation, and most importantly, delicious! The 20 pounds i lost the day prior from sweating to death on the streets of Ha Noi, I gained it all back, plus some, eating on the junk! (Google Ha Long Bay to see awesome pictures!... I'm going to try to upload a picture below, if it will work!) We went to these caves inside one of the cool statuesque things that poke out of the water.... it was, once again, hotter than hell, but so pretty inside!! Then we went canoeing to a little cove that had cute little monkeys!! We rode the canoe straight under where the monkeys were hanging and I was scared to death the monkeys were going to fall and/or poop on my head! After canoeing (which was a work out and half, i might add...), we jumped off the junk into the beautiful, perfect temperature ocean water! No waves, just calm seas! The water was perfect and I could have stayed in all night! After supper, we just sat up on the top of the junk and talked. I made a lot of new friends from Austrailia, Boston, France, Germany.... There were about 12 of us total on the junk. Everyone likes to talk politics and government, so I bored easily!! Night Night!! The next morning, we woke up, ate breakfast, and took a little boat to a fishing village. One of my favorite parts of the trip, thus far, was seeing the primary school in the fishing village. The village is made up of about 50 or so houses.... that are all floating on water! And so was the school! It was a 4 room school.... Happy said that after primary school, their family makes a decision if they will send their child to school in Ha Long. I can't IMAGINE living in this fishing village, because there is NO WHERE you can run! Just swim, i guess! We also saw a pearl farm..... it was cool, i guess.... nothing fancy.... no pearls floating on the top of the water or anything... :)
After the cruise, we came back to Ha Noi for our last night here.... we walked to this dress shop where I really wanted this adorable dress they have.... but SHOCKER..... they don't have "Morgan Size".... only petite Asian size! It made me sad. But not really.... but it was a really cute dress shop.
Tomorrow = off to Cambodia!!!
PS - I am coming down with a cold. I can't find a pharamcy anywhere. Mother, if you read this... send your prayers to heaven that I don't get any more sick.
PPS - In Ha Long Bay, I saw eagles!! They were water eagles.... they feed off of fish. The eagles in the U.S. feed off of small rodents. It was interesting because as long as I watched the water eagles, I never saw one land..... too bad! (I also realized that Seagulls and Eagles are the exact same word, except seagulls has an s before it..... but the spelling is totally different!! who knew??)
PPPS - This guy from Austraila let me listen to his ipod... he had a lot of cool pearl jam songs I've never heard of.... like a cover of "sitting on the dock of the bay".... which was SO COOL since I was in Ha Long Bay!!! <----------- another one of my favoritest parts of the trip yet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This picture is absolutely amazing! I'm so excited for you to be there!!! I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way and hope you feel better :)

Mekell and Jake said...

HOw Gorgeous!!! I can't wait to see all of your pictures and hear your stories; let's get together as soon as you get home!