Well there is one thing I can say for sure about the Thai ---- they do not have a problem telling you when you are wrong OR what they are thinking.
Example 1) "Mo'gin, you need to wear a slip." "I do wear a slip." "Well you need a better one."
Example 2) I folded my arms during the national anthem. Big NO NO. Hands stay at your side. I had MANY people tell me to fix this.
Example 3) I had my legs crossed at some Bank Ceremony. Again, a big NO NO. You must never cross your legs when officials are present. (Who the heck were the officials, I'll never know.... but now I'm afraid to cross my legs anywhere!) And I thought I was acting like a perfect lady! I actually had the concious thought "Wow - I am sitting here with my legs crossed and my hands crossed on my lap. I feel like a princess." and then i got repremanded!
Example 4) "All the teachers think you act like a boy." I'm still not sure what this means. I already have a self-image complex being at least a foot taller than everyone and what looks like 100 pounds more, too! No make-up, mosquito bites all over, frizzy hair, heat rash.... Now they are saying I act like a BOY! From what I gathered from P'Ke, it's because I am not afraid to show enthusiasm and try new things. Hopefully it's not because I'm a big grizzly, gruff, dirty, disgusting looking MAN!!
Example 5) "Mo'gin! Did you leave the fan on at my house?" "Yes, I'm so sorry." To which P'Tuong rushed home to turn the fan off. It was like a serious emergency and I can't figure out WHY! Maybe it would have caused a fire? Maybe the electric bill would be too much? I felt really bad about leaving the fan on.
Funny story..... last night I was eating noodles (again....) and there is always this stuff that looks like red tofu in a perfect square. I always try a little bit and think "Ugh, this tofu is disgusting!" Well, it turns out it's not tofu. It's CHICKEN BLOOD!!!! Sheeshe..... no wonder I didn't like tofu!! Now every time I eat something I ask if there's chicken blood in it!
The teachers are trying to set me up with the ONLY single teacher here. I guess I'm going to his town this weekend (sounds like a set up to me) and P'Tuong keeps saying I can meet my mother and father-in-law. Oh sheeshe..... Who knows.... maybe I'll get married here and never come home! (doubtful.... because I REALLY miss bean burritos!!!! {oh, and my family})
I moved into P'Tuong's house yesterday. I have the whole upstairs to myself. It's like an outside loft, is the best I can describe it. I basically live in a jungle/farm. Cows, chickens, dogs, fruit trees of all kinds. I sleep in a big pink mosquito net.... but I found out last night that mosquito nets don't conquer ANTS!! I woke up a bazillion times because I kept getting ant bites. :( It was a rough nite. HUGE storm and HUGE ant bites. Helen told me to listen for the gianormous lizards that live on the roof and make noises all night.... but I guess they don't come out in the rain. And I left my alarm clock at P'Ke's house and P'Toung said "Don't worry - the cows will wake you up." So be it!
3 comments:
SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hahah!
you are NOT a boy! You are beautiful!!
They are just a little sexiest.
Hey Morgan! I started a blog..and just saw you have one. its hilarious! your in Thailand? wherever you are, Im So jealous!! :) I cant believe you swam with an alligator! craaazy!
Morgan, I must say that I am so very impressed with you. I am amazed that you are handling all the bugs/creatures/crazy people with such ease. I HATE bugs!! I couldn't make it. I love reading your blog because it is hilarious!! It's great that you are having so much fun! Keep learnin' those Tai people how to spoke!! lol
Post a Comment