I had a good joke go bad.... one of my more embarassing moments while I've been here. The other day when the Biology teacher asked me what my favorite organism was on mr. moon (which he meant what did i think was his best feature) he then asked me "Who is the best looking organism here at school?" to which I replied, as a JOKE, because I knew they wanted me to say mr. moon, I said "oh, the director." (like the principal) (who is an older man.) they all laughed and I said "joke, joke." and they all laughed some more. Well, someone told the director i thought he was so handsome!!! I guess he was very boastful about it ..... but I can't even look at him anymore. Sheeshe.
I miss, VERY MUCH, american food. So yesterday I said "Oh, I just wish I could have a sandwich... I miss sandwiches!" So.... I got a Thai version of a sandwich.... which was the following: a crepe, with mayonaise, egg, and raisins." It was no sandwich - but at least it was different than rice and noodles!! And then for dinner, I was invited to have papaya fruit salad. I was SO excited because the fruit here is delicious!! And it looked like a normal fruit salad, with whipped cream on top!! I took a mouthful, and it was more freakin' mayonaise!!! Fruit salad and mayonaise. I really thought I was going to vomit. And they put sugar in their mayonaise to make it sweet -- but it really doesn't make it that much better. But I guess if I had to choose between chicken feet or chicken blood or mayonaise + anything.... I'll go with the later!
Being serious for a minute - this is an experience of a lifetime, but it's also very HARD. Every day and every night is a COLD shower..... I have learned to wash one body part at a time - that makes it more BAREable. And I wake up to droppings of some sort all over the floor.... mouse? lizard? rat? I don't know! I also wake up to dead moths on the floor and mounds of ants eating them... which means mounds of ants I am constantly fighting from biting me! I have a constant tummy ache (not sure why.... worms??!?!? ;) and I really miss sandwiches!! I will KILL for a spicy italian from subway!!! MMMMMMM........ I wash clothes by hand! (my mom will be so proud!) Last night at midnight I had to go to the bathroom, which isn't an easy feat! It's like a small journey! You don't just walk down the hall and use the toilet. I have to untangle myself from the mosquito net, turn on the light, fight the bugs, try not to step on droppings, make my way down narrow stairs, try to find your shoes, walk through the jungle (lol), try to find the light switch, and use the squat toilet (which I like)..... May not sound hard - but it takes minutes.... and when you're having an "emergency", every SECOND counts!! It would be easy to complain - but what's the point? I LOVE being here and I have NOTHING to complain about! (except the mosquito/ant bites... I really do HATE those!) This is a great learning experience and I have met many wonderful people.
I have come up for two rules with the bugs. Now, let me clarify, when I say bugs, I mean big bugs, like BIG spiders, cockroaches, scorpions, centipedes, etc. Rule 1) If I can see you, stay where you are! do NOT move from that spot, and we will both be ok. Rule 2) If I cannot see you, do NOT make yourself seen. That way I can live in my naiive fantasy of no bugs !!
Well - off to lunch! Rice? Noodles?! Mayonaise?!!?
2 comments:
Holy cow! It's been a LONG time! I was so excited to have a post from you on my blog. AND I am so excited you are in Thailand. I LOVE IT THERE! I was there last fall doing some humanitarian work.
I can't wait to sit and read all of your blog and get caught up. In the meantime... keep loving it over there. I am so happy for you!
I am about to get on the plane for florida, but when I have more time tomorrow, I'll walk you through how to add friends!!
Love you!
Nikki
Post a Comment