So many things to talk about, so little time! I will just talk about some fun times.
*** FYI - I NEVER mean to be disrepesctful to any Thai culture when I am writing about silly events.... I LOVE the people here and their culture.... These funny stories could just as easily happen in the US!
So P'Ke (that is Kim) took me to her parents house where I will be staying for the next few days. Right across the street is a big, busy, smelly, market. It is literally less than a stone's throw from my bedroom window. At the market I saw crickets, flys, pig heads, etc.... all to eat! We went to a corner to get some dinner where a very large Thai man approached me, excited to shake hands with a Farang (white person). Let me just say that this man, the way he looked, smelled, looked at me, etc, is what nightmares are made from!!! He was very nice to me, but also very drunk (and I think high). To show his kindness towards me, he bought me 16 little birds eggs to eat and green rice with coconut. Now - anyone that knows me even just a little bit knows that the way to my heart is one of three things: bean burrito with extra cheese, cheese pizza, and/or ice cream. NOT bird eggs or green rice!! But it's the thought that counts, nonetheless!
P'Ke and I went to Ubon to meet up with P'Tuong and Helen (the British volunteer). Man, this past weekend was a blast. They say "You can sleep when you die" (which goes against everything I believe in!!) but for my stay in Thailand, I will adopt this theory! One night we were in the park just enjoying the night air and P'Tuong saw another Farang running the track. After his 2nd or 3rd lap, she started jogging with him and asked where he was from (finland). After his 4th or 5th lap, and us still staring at his great legs, he came over to talk to us. I invited him to dinner...... Korean BBQ! The best place I've ever been. Hands down, would be closed in 2 seconds flat in the US. Raw meat everywhere, touching it with the same thing you eat with.... you grill it at your table. Also at this restaraunt was my first experience with a squat toilet. I must say - I really might prefer it to the Westernized toilet!! You don't have to touch your skin to anything!! However, that night I had to bathe using just a bucket of water and bowl to wash the soap away..... not the cleanest I've ever been after having showered - but it got the first layer of dirt off (i hope!). We got to go shopping and I bought tons of presents for the people I love. If you are reading this, you probably got a present!! :)
Funny thing P'Ke said today..... I flat ironed my hair (for the first time since I've been here) because I had to give a speech for the school today. I wanted to look nice. P'Ke said "Your hair is not big and frizzy today.... you usually look like the Lion King after his bath!" Thanks for the honesty!! It is true - my hair is huge and frightful, so don't be afraid when you see pictures. I am basically just wearing ponytails cuz the hair is unmanageable!
On my second day here, I prayed that I could find some Mormon missionaries so that I could go to church while i'm here. Low and behold, a few days later, P'Ke and I were driving around and guess who i saw?!?! Two Mormon Missionaries!! I got so excited she thought they were my friends from home! They told me where church was. But I will be gone for 2 sundays so I will have to wait to go to church.
Last night, P'Ke made coffee for the group.... she knows that I don't drink coffee (which is forgein to her). So when she brought out the coffee's she said to me "Mo'gin, I have surprise for you!" OVALTINE!!! Best damn ovaltine i've ever had.... also the first time i've ever had it - but it was right up there next to a hot cup of coffee!!
Right, well I best be off and prepare a lesson for my class this afternoon. They get to learn about the wild animal kingdom in Arizona!!!
Feel free to email me: super_girl_74@yahoo.com
I'd love to hear from people. I have access to internet every day because they have it at the school. I can't promise I'll write back - but I'd love to hear any updates! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment