Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Reason # 1354

This is another reason Thai's are overly honest:

"Mo'gin - you have squinty eyes. You look Chinese." errrrrr....... thanks??? I have people ask me all the time (in the US) if I have Asian blood in me. The answer is NO! I just have squinty eyes. :)

Yesterday had to be one of the best quotes of my trip thus far. P'Tuong made me go play Paytong (a sport) with Mr. Moon to get to know him better. Mr. Moon went away for awhile to get food, and the Biology teacher said "What organism is your favorite on Mr. Moon?" LOL... i knew exactly what he meant - but it was classic. (BTW - I'm not encouraging this whole Mr. Moon scenario, but apparently the Thai teacher's are planning our wedding for 3 weeks from now! Poor Mr. Moon can't even look at me!) After shool yesterday, one of the teacher's bought a new truck. So all the teachers celebrated with beer and whiskey... right there at school! I thought "wow - this would never happen at my shcool!" As kids were walking by, there were their teachers - getting drunk off whiskey!

Last night for dinner we went to the only restaraunt that's open past 6pm. It's so bizzare cuz everyone starts talking to me, just because I'm white. I had another Thai man tell me he loved me. I also found out he loved Helen when she was here! (Oh - Helen - if you read this, EVERYONE calls me Helen! They are so used to your name.... and I respond to them!!) And I met some policemen that invited me to their station. I think I'm going on a "ride-along" sometime this week. They kept asking me to join the force. I think it's because I'm a whole head and shoulders taller than everyone here so I look tough!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Momo, you are having quite the adventure. I just finished reading from the start of your trip until now for the first time and it's like ten years of adventure fit into a few weeks. I can see the makings of a made for tv movie already. You are going to think we are so boring when you get back. Maybe we'll have to go to Guadelupe or womewhere when you get back. Be careful or as Zac would say "Keep your eyes about you". (and don't get married without us there)